Tips for Safer Holiday Shopping From Your Friends at Lane Insurance
The most wonderful time of the year is full of memory making and jolly good times, but it can also be an opportunistic time for those with ill intentions. Holiday hustle and bustle can be a distraction from guarding against theft, so smart shopping also includes savvy safety skills.
Here are some safety tips for your holiday shopping excursions to help keep a smile on your face and a Christmas carol in your heart:
- Scan the area around you to identify any suspicious activity and be sure to select a parking space in an area which is well lit.
- Keep all valuables and shopping bags in your vehicle trunk out of sight.
- Lock your car doors and enable the alarm before you walk away.
- Do not leave the car running unattended.
- Limit the amount of cash that you have on hand and use checks or credit cards instead.
- Retrieve your keys before leaving the store and keep them close at hand to press the panic button in case of an emergency to alert those around you that you are in trouble.
And, here are some tips to reduce your risk of credit/debit card fraud:
- Avoid using ATMs after dark.
- Inspect the credit card reader at the gas pump for signs of tampering.
- If available, upgrade to the chip technology which assigns a unique transaction number for each new purchase. (Remember, this does not guard against theft if someone has possession of the card, of course.)
- Make online purchases through a secured internet connection and enter credit card information only on secure websites that have a URL beginning with https:// and a lock icon to the left of the web address.
- Be cautious when following links in email advertisements; a better option is to type the web address in on the internet browser.
- Monitor financial accounts for fraudulent activity.
And, some holiday shopping safety tips for package deliveries at home:
- Remove delivery packages from your front door as soon as possible.
- Be cautious for criminals posing as couriers delivering packages.
- Keep your doors and windows locked when not at home.
- Set light timers to come on when you are away.
Keep these tips in mind as you make your way through December as Santa's helper, and have a safe and have a wonderful holiday season!